Stay Safe in the New Year
The Lansing Fire Department wishes all Lansing residents and visitors a happy and safe 2019. While heating your home this winter, remember a few safety tips:
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from any heat source (heaters, fireplaces, radiators, wood-burning stoves).
- Test carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month.
- Plug only one heat-producing appliance at a time in an electrical outlet.
- Keep power generators outside, away from windows, and as far away as possible from your home.
- Have chimneys and vents cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional every year.
- Store cooled ashes in a tightly covered metal container at least 10 feet from your home and any other buildings.
These tips and other helpful information can be found at https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/By-topic/Seasonal-fires/Put-A-Freeze-on-Winter-Fires .
Enjoy the new year, and be safe!
For questions or non-emergency requests, please phone the Lansing Fire Department at the same number: 708-895-7400. Our office hours are still 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
As always, for any emergency, please dial 911.